2013-04-06

Afternoon Tea at Sevva

Address: 25 / F, Prince's Building, 10 Chater Road, Central
Tel: 25371388

Food: 4.5 / 5
Service: 2 / 5
Environment: 4.5 / 5
Price: $300 per head







TOP
- Toasted Crumpet with Smoked Salmon and Chive Cream Cheese
- SEVVA Vegetable Spring Roll
- Mini Crab Cake Burger




MIDDLE
- Ms B's Turkey and Salad Sandwich
- Chicken Roll Sandwich
- Mini Short Rib Burger
- Wild Mushroom Ragout on Crispy Rice Burger
- Truffled Scrambled Egg on Toasted Poilane





BOTTOM
- The Original Caramel Crunch Cake
- SEVVA Pineapple Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Fudge Cake with Marmalade
- Mini Mont Blanc
- Cigar Wafer Cookies
- Double Chocolate-dipped Strawberry







It is probably the most expensive high tea set in Hong Kong. Unlike most of the other afternoon tea sets in Hong Kong, scones are not available and there are more savory snacks than cakes. Despite the fact that I am a sweet tooth, I find the luscious savory food irresistible. Not only is the food topnotch, but also the view. However, the service is disappointing.



































I visited Sevva on an ordinary weekday in July. In order to be seated indoors, my mum and I arrived at 2:10, 20 minutes before the afternoon tea session starts. The manager expressed to us that customers were not allowed to wait inside the restaurant and advised us to come back at 2:30. At 2:25, we returned and were shocked to be told that the indoor area had already been fully seated. As reservations were not accepted, we were very puzzled. Did they admit customers before 2:30? Anyway, we were not difficult people, so we were seated outdoors. After 15 minutes, we could hardly stand the heat, so we politely asked a waiter if there were any seats available indoors. To our surprise, the answer was YES, which was different from the one I got 15 minutes ago. Perhaps two lunchtime customers had just left. We were then seated indoors at Taste Bar. We then found that my mum had been given a leaky glass of lemon tea, so we asked a waiter to replace it. The waiter apologized and politely responded yes. Unfortunately, in front of us was a rude bartender who scowled at us and horrendously slammed another glass of lemon tea down with a thud. I then understood why the previous one was leaky. You will find more negative comments about its customer service on Open Rice. I hope you are lucky enough to meet a good waiter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Others: (The following pictures are found on the internet.)

1. Indeed, the night view looks superb, but I am afraid a dinner meal costs a lot of money. Maybe I will have a drink here.









2. Marie Antoinette's Crave is one of the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen. The appearance is definitely a wow factor, but many people find the macarons too hard and sweet, albeit fascinating to look at. The cake costs $450 and I think it is way too expensive.











挪威的呻吟 Turn Me On, Goddammit!  -  3.4 / 5
校園欺凌後 After Lucia  -  3.4 / 5
私房嚇 Stoker  -  3.7 / 5
謎離藥謊 Side Effects  -  3.8 / 5
銹與骨 Rust and Bone  -  3.9 / 5
戰巫不勝 War Witch  -  3.9 / 5
非常教慾 Beyond the Hills  -  4 / 5
乾旦路 My Way  -  4.2 / 5
聽說桐島要退社 The Kirishima Thing  -  3.7 / 5
閃靈237 Room 237  -  3.7 / 5
誣網 The Hunt  -  4.3 / 5
皇家風流史 A Royal Affair  -  4.2 / 5
逆光飛翔 Touch of the Light  -  3.8 / 5
智取威士忌 The Angels' Share  -  3.8 / 5
殺戮重組 The Act of Killing  -  4.1 / 5
紐約精讀遊 English Vinglish  -  3.6 / 5
失身不離3兄弟 Come as You Are  -  3.8 / 5
東京出租少女 Like Someone In Love  -  4 / 5
明天記得愛上我 Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?  -  3.5 / 5
東京家族 Tokyo Family  -  3.9 / 5
北京遇上西雅圖 Finding Mr. Right  -  3.6 / 5
不道德的夫妻 Dreams For Sale  -  3.4 / 5
福音戰士新劇場版:Q Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo  -  3.8 / 5
催眠潛凶 Trance  -  3.5 / 5
尋找隱世巨聲 Searching For Sugar Man  -  3.8 / 5
鐵甲奇俠 3 Iron Man 3  -  3.4 / 5

30 則留言:

  1. Sorry you were given such low quality services there. You took very nice pictures of their products. I will come more often to read your recommendations for movies. I don't watch movies a lot because I am picky with my choices.
    [版主回覆04/06/2013 02:54:52]Thank you for saying that. The food there is very good indeed. As for movies, I am more than happy to share with you my comments. Just leave a message and I will write a few words about a particular movie I have watched. Thank you so much for your support. By the way, judging from the movies I have watched, you may agree that I am also very picky haha.

    回覆刪除
  2. 服務是真的需要改善﹗個蛋糕好靚,我諗我的學生見到一定會大叫及好開心
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 00:21:29]The most beautiful cake I have ever seen, but it is just too expensive, so I did not order one. Many customers say that it tastes just OK haha.

    回覆刪除
  3. 你真係成日都有好嘢食喎...
    今次又係邊度??
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 00:26:06]Life has too many downs. I have learnt to enjoy life to the full. Sevva is in Central.

    回覆刪除
  4. i think service comes first, cos bad service will make me lost the appetite. i won't visit after i read this article.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 00:26:43]True. I probably won't visit this restaurant again.

    回覆刪除
  5. Kenji愈來愈老成持重!
    $300一個high tea set,實在太貴,再加上咁嘅服務水平,not good value for money at all!
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 00:35:28]I look more mature, probably because of the overwhelming stress I have been suffering from these few years. Therefore I eat more cakes, which accelerates the ageing process haha. What a vicious circle!

    回覆刪除
  6. The crave cake that I've tried with my mother 2 yrs ago just around $260, however the tea set costs around $600, although I love the view and food so much, I didn't return since it's really expensive, don't expect too much about the services, then u will think that's not too bad!!! Haha!!!
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 14:53:56]$250 + cigarette smoke? NO WAY... Then I prefer Ritz Carlton the Lounge and Bar.
    [Emily Emer回覆04/07/2013 13:08:19]Always want to have a drink there at night, do u think it's worth $250 for a drink and night view? Also many of them smoke outside!!!
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 00:43:11]Do you think you will return because of the night view? It is said that HSBC looks great at night. As far as I am concerned, it may be a problem to be seated outdoors. It may be too hot in summer and too cold in winter haha. It may be too windy at times and customers may feel dizzy.

    回覆刪除
  7. For better viewing pleasure, please leave some space in between photos. Hope this isn't too much to ask. It's simply amazing to see the concret and steel archetectural structures of the Central District. Many wonderful memories still linger.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 00:44:11]A good piece of advice. Thanks a lot!

    回覆刪除
  8. 想不到這麼高級的地方服務這樣差!
    有沒有去過Hotel East高聲的bar Sugar? 個view都好好,坐得好舒服,同埋侍應好nice。不過我只在那裡喝過啤酒,沒吃過那裡的食物。

    你看了很多戲啊!我也看了《智取威士忌》,是我今年選的hkiff讓我看得最開心的戲(有好幾套都麻麻地)。我想看The Hunt 呢~
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 15:01:27]The first half shows that he tends to resort to violence and his wife has a stabilizing influence on him, both of which are missing in the second half. Stealing is also wrong. Of course, unlike the his friend who is obsessed with stealing, he wants to be a good guy. I went to Glasgow 10 years ago and indeed there were some social and economic problems. I hope his love for his wife and baby can better him.
    [芝回覆04/07/2013 13:35:56]3. 我也不大喜歡以偷來解決問題的方法,但男主角又很難找到工作。他的性格問題應很難一時三刻解決,電影給了他一個新開始,而且他也很清楚自己的問題,我對他前途還是樂觀的。(像一些黑社會中人,慢慢會收火)
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 00:52:02]1. Many customers expressed on Open Rice that they were shocked.
    2. I have heard of it, but it is too far away from my home. Besides, it is said that the food is average.
    3. 智取威士忌 is my cup of tea. However, the second half is a bit disappointing. It seems that the guy's personal problems mentioned in the first half are not resolved. It also seems to me that the story conveys a message that stealing is sometimes good. What do you think?
    4. The Hunt is a must see. It will be in my top 10 movie list this year.

    回覆刪除
  9. 我剛看完 The Perks Of Being A Wallflower 影碟,真希望當時有入戲院看(那時在這套和Ruby Sparks二選一,我選了RS,但我喜歡這套多很多)。一來我一向喜歡看青春片,二來有很多地方有共鳴,三來幾位主角都好看,歌又好聽。我想找小說來看呢。
    你可以寫幾句comments嗎?
    [芝回覆04/07/2013 22:43:20]Thank you, Kenji!
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 15:02:31]I love all these quotes from other movie critics. I watched the film a long time ago and could not recall much haha. That's why I post what some film critics say here. I hope you like them.
    [芝回覆04/07/2013 13:28:11]嘩,好多影評,謝謝!
    我可能會寫一篇,或者看小說後再寫。
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:25:29]Both films were in my top-20-movie list last year.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:24:22]Kristian Harloff: Logan Lerman makes you completely forgive and forget Percy Jackson. You are with him from start to finish in this fantastic adaptation.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:22:31]Shaun Munro: A coming-of-age film for the ages, Perks will charm even ardent cynics, with a rousing script, breathless soundtrack, and three stunning performances, particularly from the enormously talented Ezra Miller.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:21:46]Joe Cunningham: The real strength of the film though lies in its authenticity. There are many scenes, characters, details and interactions that you'll swear have been lifted from your very own adolescent years.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:20:46]Robbie Collin: Teenage wallflowers, past and present alike, will feel tingles of recognition, and pure pleasure.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:20:21]Josh Bell: Chbosky brings genuine feeling to his variation on teenage angst and unrequited love, developing soulful characters and a funny but melancholy narrative.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:17:52]Sean O'Connell: It will become one of those movies this generation turns to when it wants to say, "This is how it was for us, and this is how we survived it." For teenagers - and those of us who were teenagers once - it's truly remarkable.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:15:30]Sean Means: Chbosky creates a rich and authentic portrait of high-school bohemians, searching for freedom in the stifling environment of adolescent conformity.
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 01:15:07]Both movies are GREAT in my opinion!!! It is a pity that The Perks of Being a Wallflower is overlooked by many Hong Kong people. It is a well-acted and well-casted coming-of-age story about loneliness and awkwardness while growing up. I also like the nostalgic atmosphere and the twist.

    回覆刪除
  10. Tea with Mama again, good!
    only bread and desserts? $300/per quite expensive r, but the environment quite good.
    I gave 紐約精讀遊 English Vinglish 4/5
    from the above list, seems many cult movies.
    want to see 逆光飛翔 Touch of the Light, but afraid over touching so make me can't stop crying r!
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 15:07:40]My mum enjoyed the food and the view. The high tea set ($600) includes two drinks AND a three-tier tray with cakes and snacks. It is even more expensive than having high tea in hotels. Some movies listed above are from HKIFF. They are not cult movies. 紐約精讀遊 is flawed, but I love the themes. In a family, we should respect each other and no one should be belittled just because one's English is not good. 逆光飛翔 is touching. Some may cry. (You need not worry about crying. People feel better after crying haha.) The OST is very good.

    回覆刪除
  11. 哩間嘢嘅service出名唔掂(雖然我去嗰次無乜嘢。。。)
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 17:19:11]Other members of the staff seemed OK. The bartender was VERY rude though. I don't think I will be there again.

    回覆刪除
  12. the tea is very attractive but expensive~~ >_<
    [版主回覆04/07/2013 19:57:22]Treat it as a once in a lifetime experience LOR! ^^

    回覆刪除
  13. wa~~~~
    好似好好味咁
    [版主回覆04/08/2013 22:10:33] Yummy!!!

    回覆刪除
  14. 我覺得 tea set 的食物好像很大件,似乎很飽肚的樣子
    [版主回覆04/09/2013 20:51:37]Yes. That's why I did not have my lunch that day.

    回覆刪除
  15. 我今年電影節睇得少,然後啲戲大部分都唔多好睇,好傷心
    [版主回覆04/10/2013 20:17:28]Pooooooor you. Mine are above average. Beyond the Hills is good. The Act of Killing is a very good documentary which blows my mind.

    回覆刪除
  16. 相片好靚... 食物也令我看見也流口水.. 哈...
    你長胖了..
    [版主回覆04/11/2013 20:32:23] I should stop eating too much.

    回覆刪除
  17. 今天我會去洲際的Lobby lounge, Sevva都有考慮過去, 但這次決定在九龍區.估吾到Sevva的夜景咁靚, 他的afternoon tea都好吸引呀
    [版主回覆04/13/2013 14:13:21]In my opinion, both are the best places where people can have afternoon tea. The service of Sevva is so so though.

    回覆刪除
  18. Agreed that the service in Sevva is disappointed as i had similar experience as well.
    [版主回覆04/14/2013 20:31:12]Some Open Rice users also did! I just wonder why those rude people are not fired.

    回覆刪除
  19. 環境好好,祝一週愉快!
    [版主回覆04/15/2013 20:06:04]Thanks a lot.

    回覆刪除
  20. You certainly know how to enjoy life!
    As long as you enjoy it, it's money's worth.
    [版主回覆04/16/2013 21:52:24]Well said! Cheers ~~~ ~~~

    回覆刪除
  21. 我看了The Hunt,簡直是恐怖片。我不斷替男主角想解決方法,也想不到。
    人的偏見和自以為是真的很可怕。
    [版主回覆04/21/2013 22:51:08]This is one of the best movies this year. I personally experienced something similar last year. My situation was much less serious though. Still, I can relate to the protagonist. 清者自清 i.e. staying positive is probably the only thing he can do. At the end, he is emotionally hurt and I hope he is still able to trust and love the people around him after this incident.

    回覆刪除
  22. You watched Finding Mr Right?! :ooo
    [版主回覆04/22/2013 20:56:35]Both are great in my opinion. Certified Copy is more artistic and more difficult to understand than Like Someone in Love.
    [chestnut girl回覆04/22/2013 06:39:11]我是在上海跟同事看的,也看得很開心 :)
    雖然 Like Someone in Love 我睡了不少,但我覺得這套不錯,比Certified Copy更好。
    [版主回覆04/21/2013 23:38:27] YES! I love Sleepless in Seattle and my mum highly recommends it, so I watched it with my former colleague. We had a good time! The cast has a great chemistry, though the very last scene is unnecessary.

    回覆刪除
  23. 東京家族的節奏比我想像中的快,也沒有我想像中般催淚,寫實而動人,很不錯!
    [chestnut girl回覆05/01/2013 16:50:44]看完【東京家族】,不妨找【東京物語】來看。兩齣各有特色,同樣精彩。
    Festen 我看了半齣,有點受不了。那個自然光跟搖來搖去的攝影,比【催眠潛凶】更讓我頭暈!等我休息一下,今晚再戰
    [版主回覆05/01/2013 14:09:05]A reviewer says that 毒戰 looks similar to the director's previous movies, so I skip it.
    [芝回覆05/01/2013 11:17:27]我也想看這套,但最近多了閱讀,少了入戲院(不過在家也有看碟)。
    對上一套是《毒戰》。我不喜歡,但見不少影評都讚。
    今天要上班,看下班後是否還有時間看戲(還要買到票)。
    [版主回覆04/24/2013 22:15:33]Agree. There is nothing fancy. Every scene has a purpose. The cast is very convincing too.

    回覆刪除
  24. 最近食過, 排到落樓下大堂
    上到去話冇位, 俾人叫走, 堅持之下, 俾左個室外位, 但限成一個鐘(咁即係有位啦!)
    當日好大風, 叫佢俾披肩, 又有喎, 不過叫左3個唔同的侍應先有人拎黎!
    服務的確破壞心情
    食物唔錯, 但唔夠飽
    通常食tea set都會好飽, 甚至食唔晒
    [版主回覆04/25/2013 23:57:39]Wanna have high tea at Mo Bar by the way.
    [版主回覆04/25/2013 23:55:04]排到落樓下大堂? Is it a Sat or Sun? 室外位 is not good. Sometimes it is windy. Sometimes it is too hot. 一個鐘? I have to finish the high tea set in one hour? No way. 唔夠飽? I was quite full last time. The food is top-notch. Anyway, I may not go to Sevva again.

    回覆刪除
  25. 好想看誣網....
    [chestnut girl回覆04/28/2013 22:00:34]男主角演出一流,萬勿錯過 ;)
    [版主回覆04/28/2013 13:56:53]It is a must see. A very powerful movie about the power of gossips.

    回覆刪除
  26. 價錢好似貴了些
    [版主回覆04/28/2013 19:49:16]Agree with you.

    回覆刪除
  27. Hv watched "Touch of the Light", so touching and impressive!
    will intend to watch "The Hunt"
    U hv introduced "My Way" to me, but only 72 mins, and I'm afraid Chinese Opera is boring!
    Knowing that one of the actor called "譚穎倫" is quite amazing
    He has really been interviewed with 譚詠麟 in Cable-TV when he was 10.
    [版主回覆05/26/2013 12:14:59]Thanks so much! This is definitely one of the best movies this year. I have tried to introduce it to my colleagues, but it seems that they are not very interested. It is much more difficult to convince my students to watch it.
    [小黃部屋回覆05/24/2013 13:59:12]I hv watched "My Way" on 20/5/13 eventually, deeply impressed and touched by their passion of pursuing their dreams. No audience left when credit show out, the ending mov song is great even it's opera. There was a talk after the show, the Director shared the story and how much effort he put behind the scene. Some audience sugguested to introduce this mov to the schools esp secondary school, will Kenji Sir introduce to yr students? Many thanks for your great recommendation, luckily hv special show or I would miss this and feel regret. At the beginning while you introduced this to me, I refuse documentary and opera so much and only 72 mins was undered my consideration. However, It's really worth seeing actually. I introduced thru my fb at once.
    [版主回覆05/01/2013 02:57:15]The Hunt is superb. So is My Way. Before watching it, I was worried that I would be bored by Chinese opera, but I was not. The film was full of passion which is rarely felt in Hong Kong.

    回覆刪除
  28. 我喜歡你這行啊:尋找隱世巨聲 Searching For Sugar Man - ? / 5
    那個問號讓人極之期待
    希望你會喜歡
    [版主回覆05/01/2013 23:06:06]3.8 / 5 hahaha!!! The documentary is GOOD! His music inspire the people in South Africa, which touches me. I also admire his carefree attitude to life. What's more, the film shows me the positive side of piracy. There are some very good documentaries this year, e.g. The Act of Killing, Side by Side, My Way and Go Grandriders.

    回覆刪除
  29. 個view幾靚喎
    [版主回覆05/10/2013 22:56:31]

    回覆刪除
  30. 尋找隱世巨聲 Searching For Sugar Man so great, I listen the OST nearly everyday!
    [版主回覆06/30/2013 11:43:07]It is a good documentary, but I personally prefer 乾旦路, 奇洛李維斯給電影的情書 and 不老騎士. As for the music, it is not my cup of tea.

    回覆刪除