2011-01-09

After You've Gone @ 東風破





After You've Gone - the song which haunts me these days

Music: Turner Layton

Lyrics: Henry Creamer


Now won't you listen honey, while I say,

How could you tell me that you're goin' away?

Don't say that we must part,

Don't break your baby's heart



You know I've loved you for these many years,

Loved you night and day...

Oh! honey baby, can't you see my tears?

Listen while I say:



After you've gone and left me cryin'

After you've gone there's no denyin'

You'll feel blue, you'll feel sad

You'll miss the only pal you've ever had



There'll come a time, now don't forget it

There'll come a time when you'll regret it

Oh babe, think what you're doin'

You know my love for you would drive me to ruin

After you've gone, after you've gone away


1. Ella Koon













2.



Eydie Gorme



3.
Sue Keller


4. Havana
Swing








If you asked me to choose three best Hong Kong movies in 2010, I would surely pick 打擂台 Gallants, 歲月神偷 Echoes Of The Rainbow & 東風破 Merry-Go-Round.

Yan Yan Mak is one of the directors I admire. My favourite movie directed by her is a short film called August Story 八月的故事. The set was well crafted & the atmosphere blew me away.

Merry-Go-Round is a visually stunning and nostalgic Hong Kong movie about regret and decision making. It delivers a message that we should take it easy when we make wrong decisions. 泰迪羅賓, 苗可秀 and 官恩娜 also act naturally.

Still, Denise Ho, who does not resemble a mother and Lu Yulai, who looks too young and often plays a homosexual in his previous movies are miscast as a mother and a husband. Besides, although the exotic songs help create a moody atmosphere, they are slightly overused throughout the movie. What's more, the relationship between Ella's character and the boy she likes can be further developed.

Despite the flaws, this beautiful and sincerely made Hong Kong movie is definitely worth our support.

P.S. Which version of After You've Gone do you like best? I think four of them are great in different ways. Any comments? Let's share!!!

11 則留言:

  1. 我喜歡第二隻by Eydie Gorme, i like big band!第四隻編曲都好唔錯,但係配上歌詞就有啲怪,咩feel 都無哂
    [版主回覆01/09/2011 22:14:00]HAHAHA... thanks so much for replying. No 2 is a classic, but not my cup of tea. No 1 is relaxing. No 3 is spontaneous, showing the unpredictable nature of love. No 4 is sung by a man who is NOT very depressed. Instead his message is that "you will regret it" haha. You'll feel blue, you'll feel sad
    You'll miss the only pal you've ever had Of course, he stills loves the woman!!! An interesting interpretation of the song?! ^^

    回覆刪除
  2. 各有特色,不過我還是較喜歡 3. Sue Keller ,因為我喜歡鋼琴及唱得好有"味道"
    [版主回覆01/09/2011 23:31:00]RIGHT! So spontaneous and at the same time I can feel her complete mastery of the song. I love her interpretation too. By the way, why do you change your picture? Wanna show your relaxed side? 

    回覆刪除
  3. 官恩娜 唱英文真係好聽過唱中文好多!~ Kenji 兄,我終於也排好了Top20了,有空可來看看啊!~
    [版主回覆01/10/2011 11:33:00]I really love her version which is different from others. She has her own style!!! RIGHT?! OK OK Surely!!!

    回覆刪除
  4. 同意 ↓ 官恩娜個版本觀賞時配合埋畫面, 感覺唔錯同有feel. 此片也是好戲, 泰迪羅賓演繹又係好正~~ (拿大聲公叫官恩娜起身) :-)
    [版主回覆01/10/2011 20:31:00]RIGHT! The lyrics matches the story and the music matches the mood. A sincerely made Hong Kong movie overlooked by most of the Hong Kong people. It is a pity.

    回覆刪除
  5. 【東風破】絕對是喜出望外。雖有小瑕疵,但瑕不掩瑜 哈哈,大聲公那段真是好cute。
    [版主回覆01/10/2011 20:33:00]Yeah!!! It is really nice to know that some blogmates also love this movie.

    回覆刪除
  6. 還未買DVD回來看.....
    [版主回覆01/10/2011 21:30:00]It is available now! GO GO GO!!!

    回覆刪除
  7. 係呀~~好想好舒服地休息一下。懶嘛
    [版主回覆01/10/2011 23:05:00]OIC! The previous one looks like a thinker haha.

    回覆刪除
  8. 最近看了ella 的舞台劇也,她的表現非常有驚喜 ^^
    這次看了「東風破」,也是非常動人之作呢~
    淡淡的情,卻令人印象深刻 ^^
    [版主回覆01/11/2011 21:41:00]SO HAPPY!!! It is a pity that many Hong Kong people overlook this movie.

    回覆刪除
  9. O, 苗可秀 is still around in the movie circle. Miss her.
    [版主回覆01/12/2011 11:58:00]Her performance in this movie is quite good!!!

    回覆刪除
  10. Kenji, I would like to watch "The Tourist" next Wed, need ur professional opinion pls!!!
    [版主回覆01/14/2011 23:14:00]HAHA... I still have not watched it... so sorry... Reviews are quite
    negative frankly speaking, but it has nominations at Golden Globe. I
    guess it is OK to watch it because of the charismatic lead. Hopefully it
    is entertaining. Even Love and Other Drugs has won more favourable reviews than The Tourist. I dunno... I mean sometimes that a movie does not have good reviews does not mean that it is bad to everyone. Sometimes, I find some entertaining, albeit cliched. Anyway, I will skip it. I may watch Let the Bullet
    Fly.

    回覆刪除
  11. Just watched that movie which is quite good and sincere.  Thanks for your reommendation.
    ps: I like Ella's version.
    [版主回覆03/07/2011 10:52:00]Welcome! A sincerely made HK movie.

    回覆刪除